Business support grants
There are 3 business support grants available for small businesses in Sheffield and we can help. Firstly:
- £10,000 for businesses in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief (SBRR) or Rural Rates Relief
- £10,000 for retail, hospitality or leisure businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or less
- £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
Charities that currently occupy premises that have a rateable value, might be entitled to access a grant of £10,000 or £25,000 per property if it is used for retail, hospitality and/or leisure.
To clarify whether your property falls within retail, hospitality or leisure, refer to the business rates guidance to check
Secondly, Business rates holiday
- There are delays in 2020/21 business rates.
- Sheffield Council will not collect business rates in April
- Businesses eligible for a business rate holiday in 2020/21 will receive a new bill
Businesses entitled to a rate holiday are:
- Any property in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector
- Ofsted registered nurseries
You can contact the Sheffield business rates service for more information at this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thirdly, Rent relief for council business
For non-residential council tenants:
- Sheffield Council are suspending arrears enforcement action for an initial 3 month period
- The Coronavirus Act 2020 protects business tenants against action for re-entry or forfeiture of tenancies for non-payment of rent until 30 June 2020
Coronavirus job retention scheme
The Government will help all UK employers by:
- paying up to 80% of the salaries of employees who would otherwise have been laid off.
- paying up to a capped amount of £2,500 per month.
Employees must be registered for PAYE online in order to be furloughed, this can take up to 10 days.
Coronavirus business interruption loan scheme
You are eligible for a loan if your business:
- is based in the UK,
- and has a turnover of no more than £45 million per year,
- and meets the British Business Bank eligibility criteria.
To apply for a loan you should contact your business bank.
VAT deferral scheme
Businesses will not need to pay VAT from 20 March 2020 to 30 June 2020. All businesses are eligible and you do not need to apply.
Income tax deferral
Income tax self-assessment payments due on 31 July 2020 have been deferred until 31 Jan 2021
Changes have been made to Statutory Sick Pay:
- employers with fewer than 250 employees will be able to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay for employees unable to work because of coronavirus
- this refund will be for up to 2 weeks per employee
This ensures people suffering from coronavirus can take the necessary time off to stay at home or to prevent its spread.